Recipe: Ladies Who Lunch: Yellow Kiwi Salad
This post is sponsored by Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
One of my favorite things about traveling the world for triathlons is trying new food. I always seek out one new thing to taste to get a sense of the culture and place. So, when Zespri asked me to try out their Yellow Kiwi, I was super excited. I wish I could have tasted it in New Zealand...but finding yellow kiwi in a store less than a mile from my house was pretty cool. I would have never known it existed!
So what is yellow kiwi? It’s a natural variant of the green ones we usually see at the store. The yellow kiwi are much sweeter and less tart and, to me, they taste like candy. They are also bigger than the green ones and make the perfect serving size for a hungry athlete. I first tried one by simply slicing it in half and spooning out the insides right into my mouth. I liked it so much I tipped the cup and drank up every last bit of juice. One serving of yellow kiwi has more vitamin C than a large orange, BTW!
While I was exploring the flavor of the kiwi, I thought to myself, "This would be great and a bit unexpected in a salad.” I typically don’t like fruit in my salad, but I wanted to challenge myself to create a recipe that requires me to go a bit out of my comfort zone. Trying a new food and using it in a different way is something I like to do to keep my cooking ideas fresh. Also, it’s a great way to showcase a new ingredient and share it with friends.
I created this Yellow Kiwi Chopped Summer Salad for my mom and sister for a summer lunch and it was a big hit. Please see below for the recipe.
Hope you enjoy the salad. And I challenge you to go out of your comfort zone and try something new. Zespri is having a contest on their website- click here (with some amazing prizes!!) on this very theme. Check it out and let your taste buds wander, shake up your routine and enter to win weekly prizes and a very cool grand prize. You know me, I love contests and enter all of them!! There are challenges every week that allow you to get multiple entries so get on it!!
Please try the recipe, or at the least slice and spoon a yellow kiwi. You won’t be disappointed!
Here is the recipe for the Yellow Kiwi Salad:
1 package of multi-colored grape or cherry tomatoes
1 package of small mozzarella balls or ciliegine
1 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
2 ears of sweet corn (raw)
1) Slice the tomatoes in halves or quarters depending on size
2) slice the mozzarella in halves or quarters depending on size
3) Peel skin from Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
4) Slice into 1/4 inch discs
5) Slice the kiwi discs into 4 quadrants
** You want all the diced items to be around the same size (mine were approximately 3/4 long)
6) Chop basil and mint, leave the small leaves intact
7) Slice kernels off of corn (no need to cook, use the corn raw)
8) Make the dressing with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil and a few shakes of salt to taste (whisk together)
9) Place all chopped ingredients in a serving dish and gently mix together
10) Pour dressing over and gently combine
11) Garnish with the small whole leaves of mint and basil
12) Crack fresh black pepper on top
We served this along size broiled salmon for a healthy and light lunch.