Recipe: Summer Pasta with Peas and Ricotta
After a long day of training I always crave a healthy and hearty meal. A lot of times that craving is in the form of pasta! I know it fills me up and also gets me ready to go again for the morning workouts. This pasta was influenced by my nephew’s cooking camp. Kids made and ate a version of this pasta and liked it! I find it perfect for an athlete craving creamy pasta without the extra fat and calories.
Summer Pasta with Peas and Ricotta
Here’s the recipe for the summer pasta. You can find all the ingredients you need in the photo above. It’s great because it’s a ONE POT dish. I first had it with sugar snap peas from the farmer’s market, but made it last night with frozen peas. Still good! I used gluten free pasta. I just had it again for lunch after a bike ride and find that it’s just as good cold.
1) Boil large pot of salted water. Add penne and cook, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
2) Drain pasta and put in large bowl. Add a little olive oil to keep it from sticking together (especially for #glutenfree pasta).
3) Return pasta pot to stove and heat up 3 tbs of olive oil. Add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until they are soft.
4) Add peas, salt, chili flakes and pepper to taste. Cook until the peas are bright green and still crunchy.
5) Add pasta back to pot. Add ricotta and reserved cooking water and combine. Heat up will pasta is warmed and coated by all the ingredients.
6) Remove from heat and add the herbs and lemon zest and mix well.
7) Put in bowls with more herbs on top and eat!
#yum #onepotwonder #summermeal #eatingforironman